Here at Devonport Royal Dockyard we’re looking for Electricians to join the team that is at the forefront of supporting the Royal Navy fleet. Depending on your skill set, you could be ensuring the Dockyard is running as it should be, working with our estates team or working with state-of-the-art technology, you’ll play an integral role in ensuring the serviceability of world class warships and systems through detailed maintenance and refit periods by working within multi–trade teams.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for Electricians to install a variety of electrical equipment. If you can bring technical skills and a safe working attitude, then not only can we provide you with some of the most exciting engineering projects this country has to offer but also excellent development opportunities and benefits package – which will include a relocation package for those outside of the region.
What will you be doing?
• Overhaul and install a variety of electrical equipment that could include distribution, command, and control systems, such as weapons, navigation, and communications.
• Work to electrical/engineering drawing and technical specifications as you install and connect a variety of cabling, plus carry out system and equipment functional tests.
The experience you’ll bring
• Have the ability to read electrical and engineering drawings to interpret work instructions and be competent in the use of general workshop machinery specific to electrical fitting.
• Ideally will have worked in the marine industry with experience of Royal Navy ships and submarines, Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessels or large commercial ships. Other relevant experience from the MOD or a Civil background will be considered.
• Level 3 Modern Apprenticeship in an electrical discipline
• Armed Forces PO/CPO/NCO with electrical specialisation
• Level 3 Electrical Engineering qualification
You will need to satisfy security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving ‘Security Check’ (SC) clearance.
What a role with Babcock offers?
• Enhanced employment terms and conditions
• Money purchase pension scheme
• Life assurance
• Share ownership scheme
• Occupational health services
• Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
• Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
• Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the Southwest at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It’s why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy’s new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Click here to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link when you apply to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Sign up to receive the latest engineering jobs by email