Job ID: SF40139
Make a real impact, immediately
We have a fantastic new job opportunity for a Multi Skilled engineer to maintain deployable communications systems. You will be responsible for the assembly and wiring of electronic units and chassis’ on behalf of our customer. These units consist of discrete circuit boards and mechanical drive units. The role also provides resource support for various service delivery tasks and Engineering Service Tasks (EST) activities within your skill set. The role may require regular travel and sustained deployment at locations both in the UK and overseas.
We’re looking for a motivated individual who is dynamic, ambitious, eager to learn, thrives on challenge and keen to make an impact within this small team.
The difference you will make
Information Systems is a thriving and growing business unit within Mission Systems. We are transforming and we need you to support us in forging new paths, contributing as we grow through exciting, but sometimes challenging change.
You will be required to deliver an effective and high-quality service for our customer, receiving and inspecting assets on return from deployment, completing all planned and reactive tasks in a compliant manner. You will ensure everything we do is legally compliant and accurate records are kept up to date, as well as maintaining a high standard of work by following safe working practices.
Whilst every day will be different, you will mainly be responsible for the following:
• Ensuring you and others work in a safe and efficient manner at all times to maintain/produce quality assured products.
• Working under the direction of the site manager you will provide engineering maintenance for complex systems including electronic, electrical, data, mechanical and communication equipment at various locations.
• Ensuring appropriate engineering standards, as prescribed by Babcock, our customer or professional bodies are maintained, ensuring best practice is employed with all engineering activities.
• To contribute to increasing the competitiveness of the programmes and engineering function provided to the customer so that Babcock becomes the customer’s supplier of first choice.
• To undertake tasks scheduled by the Projects Team as and when required often outside your usual skillset, maximising fee paying work, whilst supporting operational output on sites.
• Contribution to successful completion of engineering projects within budget and KPI timelines
• Receipt, inspect, repair and prepare systems for re-deployment
• Ensure safe working environment is maintained at all times, complying with legal and site specific health and safety
• Contribute with the promotion of a world class safety culture ensuring that all site health & safety policies and procedures are adhered to
• Ensuring appropriate communication is maintained with all stakeholders to create and maintain strong, lasting relationships with customers, suppliers, service sponsors and company stakeholders.
• Accurate completion of the following:
• Time recording and checking of returned hours.
• Accurate return and checking of claims forms.
• Health & Safety compliance.
• Toolbox checks.
• Timely submission of engineering appraisal reports
You will be given the opportunity to learn and develop your skills within the team. We want you to reach your potential as part of the team.
Who we’re looking for
You’re someone who brings innovative ideas and solves problems with simple and elegant solutions. The role will be open to any candidate who has previous electronic/mechatronics experience or similar where transferable skills can be demonstrated. We need a hands on person who delivers under limited supervision.
The successful candidate must be willing to undergo vetting and obtain Enhanced DV security clearance to ensure continuing employment in this role.
Previous experience maintaining bespoke communication systems or similar engineering projects within a communications environment is preferred. Other candidates with demonstrable skills that are transferable will be considered.
Skills and attributes
• Capable of following work instructions and equipment manuals
• Ability to fault find down to component level and provide repair solution
• A self-starter, who is performance driven - with a desire to make significant contribution/impact.
• Ability to work independently once clear direction is provided
• Understand when to make use of LEAN/5S principles to improve working practices
Education and qualifications
• GCSE Maths & English
• HND/HNC Electronics and Communications Engineering or equivalent gained through relevant experience
• C&G 2392 18th Edition Electrical Installation - desirable
• C&G Communications Cabling & Networks
• IOSH Managing Safely
• City and Guilds fibre optic termination course – desirable
• UK Driving licence
In return for your skill and passion, you’ll get:
• Flexible working
• Opportunities to develop your career and qualifications
• The opportunity to make a real impact, partnering on an ambitious culture transformation programme within Babcock’s’ fastest growing business unit
As well as:
• Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays
• Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
• Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
• Employee Share Scheme
• Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
• Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities
• If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments
Where it all fits in:
Information Systems sits within Mission Systems forming a critical, and growing part of Babcock’s Marine organisation. Our dynamic and motivated leadership team is committed to an exciting transformation agenda that will help us to innovate, modernise and create a more people-focussed business that can support our customers’ mission. Working across a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, Information Systems employs approximately 250 people across the UK and overseas with the largest site being in Ashchurch.
The engineering team supports and delivers engineering projects and support services for our prime customer. The variety of work and ability to travel provides a platform to learn so much within the business as your skills thrive. Such a small team of hard working engineers deliver a lot of impact across a large geographical area. Their bread and butter is to deliver engineering excellence, and with every new task they create the conditions for our business to succeed, the reputation of our engineering is lauded by many.
A number of employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within Babcock, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other need to knows:
• The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role. Attaining and retaining DV Clearance is essential
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account, then you’ll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the armed forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week’s special paid leave to help them meet their commitments.
Babcock International Group
For more than a century, Babcock has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within four market sectors; Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear. We’re committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. You’ll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
This role is within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group, which delivers a wide array of complex through-life marine engineering services to defence and civil customers across the globe. These range from UK and international naval fleet support, commercial marine, engineering consultancy, weapons handling, equipment support, intelligence, cyber security and training.
Sign up to receive the latest engineering jobs by email