Are you looking for a challenging yet rewarding role in an ambitious team of high performing Engineers and Naval Architects? If so, we are growing and looking for exciting new talent to join us on our journey. Babcock Submarine Support Engineering’s (SSE) mission is to deliver submarine programme and engineering excellence through enterprise collaboration, innovation and analytics. Within Babcock SSE, the Constructive Group support the Royal Navy Submarine Fleet through the Seamanship and Outfitting, Structures, Naval Architecture, and Design Change disciplines. This role is highly rewarding with visible contributions to the defence capability of the UK, helping to keep the Royal Navy at sea and fighting fit.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for enthusiastic and motivated people with a desire to be at the forefront of engineering excellence, to join a growing team of engineers within the Constructive Group. Experience of submarines is not a requirement, as you’ll be given the support and means to learn within a fast paced and challenging engineering environment. This role will suit candidates with a background in Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths; looking for a change in direction and a strong desire to develop themselves, as well as people with existing experience within the defence engineering sector.
What will you be doing?
• Participate in a wide range of activities including feasibility & options studies, concept design, detailed design, conduct analyses, technical investigations & assessment, and conduct platform surveys, as required to support delivery to in-service submarines and naval base facilities
• Produce and assure technical documentation, including reports, calculations and engineering drawings, to ensure that technical findings can be successfully communicated with stakeholders
• Prepare and submit bid responses for technical work packages
• Take ownership and provide guidance for your area of technical specialism, providing leadership and mentoring to develop junior members of the Team, and support to the wider In-service Submarine Team.
The experience you’ll bring
• Ideally have knowledge and experience of naval or commercial ship outfit and seamanship systems; knowledge of submarines is desired but not necessary. Support and training will be provided for the successful candidate to apply and develop their knowledge of submarine specific seamanship and outfit systems
• Degree qualified in a STEM discipline (or equivalent experience)
• Effective project management, interpersonal and communication skills
• Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise effectively and deliver in a complex environment
• Proactive approach with a strong capability for problem solving
• Proven track record of delivery reliability, productivity and quality
The post will be based in an environment regulated by Trade Control legislation and involve working with controlled goods, technology and/or services. You must be a sole UK national and be eligible for ‘Security Check’ (SC) or ‘Developed Vetting’ (DV) security clearance.
What a role with Babcock offers?
• Enhanced employment terms and conditions
• Money purchase pension scheme
• Life assurance
• Share ownership scheme
• Occupational health services
• Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
• Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
• Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Sign up to receive the latest engineering jobs by email